UW School of Art Faculty

The University of Washington established a Department of Painting, Sculpture and Design in 1919. Prominent artists have taught and trained on campus in a variety of disciplines: ceramics, fibers, sculpture and public art, drawing, painting, printmaking, and photography. The School of Art continues to grow with the addition of a new department called 3D4M, integrating glass, ceramics, sculpture and public art, launched in fall of 2008. Since the early 1970s the Henry and the School of Art have collaborated annually to present an exhibition of work by graduating Master of Fine Arts students. The Henry has frequently exhibited work by faculty artists, and has acquired work by faculty and accomplished alumni.

Find works by University of Washington Faculty in the Henry Collection

Visit the University of Washington School of Art website

Works of Art

Patricia Warashina [Bauer] (U.S., b. 1940)
Serious Business 1973
Slip cast, slab and hand‑built earthenware with stains and luster glaze
12 1/8 x 13 3/4 x 18 in. (30.8 x 35 x 45.7 cm) overall
Henry Art Gallery, purchased with funds from Evelyn Howie, PONCHO and the National Endowment for the Arts, 77.44

Michael Spafford (U.S., b. 1935)
Lapiths and Centaurs #2 1993
Woodcut on heavy wove paper
12 x 14 3/4 in. (30.5 x 37.5 cm) image size
Henry Art Gallery, purchased with funds provided by the Seattle Art Dealer's Association, 97.205

Ambrose Patterson (U.S., b. Australia 1877–1966)
La Push Fishing Boats 1932
Oil on canvas
25 1/8 x 30 1/8 in. (63.8 x 76.5 cm) stretcher bar size
Henry Art Gallery, gift of the artist, 74.6

Jacob Lawrence (U.S., 1917–2000)
The Builders No. 1 1970
Gouache on wove paper
21 1/4 x 29 1/4 in. (54 x 74.3 cm) visible image size
Henry Art Gallery, gift of the artist, 70.5

Howard William Kottler (U.S., 1930–1989)
Steam Heat Pot 1967
Hand‑built earthenware with glazes and lusters
19 1/2 x 16 x 9 in. (49.5 x 40.6 x 22.9 cm) overall
Henry Art Gallery, gift of the artist, 73.3